(This actually happened.)
There are 3 blogs that I follow religiously. The first is Gala Darling’s blog about Radical Self Love. Next is On Stage Blog which is industry related and I retweet their articles regularly. Lastly is Ask A Manager; which is more related to my previous industry than this one. However, when it comes to work place conduct and etiquette, it’s one that I enjoy reading.
Recently on AAM, Alison asked her readers to share their input about red flags from potential employers. While I really didn’t clarify the red flags too deeply in my post, this is the story I shared:
(Source: Ask A Manager. This link will go directly to Alison’s article about how to identify a bad boss before taking the job.)
Ultimately, what is being revealed to me about my current industry, is that the shenanigans associated with working with people is not new. Like I said in a previous post: the entertainment industry is kind of the Wild West when it comes to workplace conduct. In reality, WORK of any kind is basically the Wild West.
So let me share with you some of the weirdest and the rudest stories I have had to deal with in my adult working life.
1) One of my first jobs was at Victoria’s Secret and I witnessed a male customer sniffing the panties.
2) While working at Bare Minerals, a customer’s husband dipped his fingers in one of the loose eyeshadows and snorted it. He had glitter all over his nose.
3) Pretty much any cosmetics store I have worked at, there were customers that would try on mascara using the original wand it came with instead of a disposable wand we offer. We have to throw those testers out immediately after.
4) The first day of my HR job, computer started burning and smoking the moment I turned it on. My boss helped me quickly unplug it.
5) One day at the HR office, a job candidate decided to pee all over the walls of our public bathroom.
6) At the same office, I would have people curse at me regularly because their I9 work documents were expired. We couldn’t offer them the job until they updated it. (Like seriously, you drive around with an expired driver’s license or fly with an expired passport?)
7) Last year, someone pooped on the floor in one of the bathrooms at Starbucks. My shift manager took the initiative to clean it and spared the rest of us.
8) On a recent background gig I did, the entire shoot was disorganized and the crew members were really rude. One of the PAs announced, sarcastically, the SAG rep was on-site if we wanted to bitch about the way we are being treated. Several people did just that.
9) Right now, I’m temporarily working box office at a theatre on Penn’s Landing. Last night’s shift was a proverbial Murphy’s Law. Massive tech problems from the internet being down; to the copier being down, so I had to write the list of patrons down by hand. The cloud ticketing system ran slow. The ticket printer wasn’t working, and I had a line of antsy customers. Somehow (by the grace of God really) I got everyone into the show on time. I had a shot of tequila once I got home to calm my nerves.
I have more I could share, but some of them were so ridiculous, I’m trying to push them out of my mind.